Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Interview With Torrian Ferguson - Anexander Books Seeking Author To Write About Real Women

Join us as we chat with Torrian Ferguson, Essence Best Selling Author and founder of Anexander Books, a new independent publishers currently seeking authors writing books about plus size women.

1) The primary focus of this interview is to let reader and writers know about Anexander Books. But before we get into that tell us a little about the man behind scenes? I was not always behind the scenes. I'm the Essence Magazine Best Selling author of Swingers and Scandalous. After reading Michael Baisdens God's Gift to Women and Shannon Holmes Bad Girlz. I decided to write a story that had not been talked about before. I wrote Swingers and was immediately signed to a small publishing company. I learned a lot from my time with the company. I learned what to do and what not to do in this industry.

2) What drove you to step into the publishing side of the literary arena? While promoting my books I met several talented authors that were getting discouraged from the lack of support from publishers. So after I finished my writing career I decided to start my own publishing company and sign untapped authors and help them achieve their literary goals and it's been going great thus far.

3) Anexander Books has taken a special interest in novels that feature plus-size, strong African-American women. Why have you decided to focus on the plus-size community? Being honest I got tired of reading stories where plus size women were always talked about in a negative light. Plus size women were always featured as the the best friend that can not get a man, or the girl that's over weight because of being abused as a child. If not that, they were featured as over sexed women that slept with the skinny chick's man just to make her jealous type crap. Enough is enough! I happen to love plus size women and I know some very educated, strong, independent, sexy plus size women that have high self esteem and very confident. It's just time that books are written for everyone not just the size 8 chick. My goal is to eventually have a line of books totally dedicated to Plus size women.

4) What do you look for when choosing novels for publishing by Anexander Books?
I look for a great story that catches my attention right out of the gate. I've never been a fan of books that take forever to get to something exciting. If you read a Torrian Ferguson novel you'll see that my books always start out with a bang to grab your attention and make you want to keep reading. A lot of authors take to long building the plot and back story so by the time they get to the meat of the book the average reader has put the book down saying that it moves to slow. All Anexander Books novels keep you on the edge of your seat from page one!

5) How many books do you currently have in the works featuring plus size women and when can we expect to see these books on the market?
We currently have one author putting together a 3 book series. Her name is LaVonda Howard and the title of her novel is D-Cup Divas. Her first book with Anexander Books releases in the summer of 2010. We are currently looking for other authors that can tell a great story featuring my Plus size Queens.

6) How can authors interested in submitting their books to Anexander Books get in contact with you and/or find more information? They can reach us at http://www.anexanderbooks.com/. I can be reached on Twitter and Facebook under my name.

7) If you could tell one thing to every aspiring writer what would it be? Don't try to be someone else. Be you and write what you want to write. Do not worry about being the next EJD, ZANE or anyone else. Do you and be happy doing you. Long as you are true to your craft your fans will come.

***** Contest Alert *****
Comment on any of the October and November Interviews (Except the Interview by Monica Jones) and be entered into a contest to win your choice of one of the many books we have on hand.

No comments: