Thursday, September 3, 2009

Interview With Pat Ballard - The Queen of Rubenesque Romance Novels

Join us as we talk with Pat Ballard - The Queen of Rubenesques Romance. Pat writes romance novels for all women letting them know that love and romance is not just for women in a size 3 dress (or even a size 10).

1. Tell us about yourself? I am an avid advocate of being happy with ourselves no matter what size we are. I dieted for 22 years, trying to fit in with how “society” said I should look. When my son was 3 years old I decided to stop starving myself and eat healthily, exercise moderately when I felt like it, and learn to love the body that I was genetically programmed to have.

2. How long have you been writing? From the time I learned to read, I loved reading and “making up” my own stories. So, it seems that I've been writing most of my life. As so many people do, I got busy with living… being married, raising our only son, working, etc. and didn't seriously pursue getting anything published until 2000.

3. How long have you been writing books with plus size characters? I wrote my first two novels with what I call Big Beautiful Heroines while still working full-time, in the late 1990s.

4. Why did you choose to feature plus size heroines in your novels? After I stopped dieting I realized that there were no positive plus-size role models in books, on T.V., in the movies, or anywhere. So I decided to write motivational romance novels with larger heroines. But my books are actually directed to women of all sizes to be happy with yourself and stop trying to look like someone you see in the media. My husband dubbed me "The Queen of Rubenesque Romances."

5. Your most recent book 10 Steps To Loving Your Body (No Matter What Size You Are) is a non-fiction self-help/inspirational book for women of size. What was the motivation behind this book? At the time I stopped dieting, I wasn't aware of anything “out there” to help encourage me to love myself at a larger size. So I wrote the 10 Commandments of Self Love, for myself, so that I could remind myself when I would start thinking about dieting. Later, after writing the romance novels, I decided to turn the “Commandments” into a book and renamed it 10 Steps To Loving Your Body (No Matter What Size You Are.) Do you have similar books planned for the future? I do have plans for two more nonfiction books, but they won’t be exactly like the 10 Steps. But they will encourage women to love themselves.

6. Is there another romance featuring a plus size heroine in the works? There will always be another romance featuring plus size heroines. If so tell us about the book. I’m actually working on two, now. One is a regular “romance novel, and one is a romantic suspense. When will they be released? I’ll have one finished and ready to be released in 2010, but I have a nonfiction that will be out before the next romance novel.

7. Of all the plus size women you have portrayed in your books who is your favorite and Why? I’m torn between several, but I think I’m still partial to Nella in Nobody’s Perfect. She’s gutsy and feisty and has more of me in her than some of the others. Some of my heroines will not be happy with themselves when they come into the book, and some will be. But all of my heroines will be happy with themselves when the book is finished. They all learn to love their big beautiful bodies along the way.

8. Do you plan to write more books featuring plus size characters? Always! I have two started and blurbs for several more. Plus I’m toying with the idea of doing a YA with a plus size teenager girl in it.

9. When will your next book be released? I’m hoping to have my next book released in late 2009. Tell us a little about your next book? The next book is a nonfiction that is more of a “Something To Think About” work. It will have essays about life-lessons that I've learned, poems that I've written, and some essays on weight issues. Will it feature a plus size character? It won’t have a plus size character, per se, but will have a good bit about “Weighty Issues” that I’ll explore.

10. What are you reading now? Who are your favorite authors? I’m reading a lot of Nora Roberts, at this point. And Sandra Brown. You know, they say to read what you write, and I like to use these authors to “study,” since they’ve made such huge names for themselves.

11. How can readers get in contact with you? Do you have a website? Yes, my website is http://www.patballard.com/ I would love for the readers to sign up for my free newsletter, The Queen’s Proclamation. There is a link on my website that will take readers to the newsletter page where they can read them. The reader can also email me from the website. I would love to hear from everyone!

12. What is the one thing you would like all of your readers to know about you? I would like my readers to know that I am totally happy with myself and it is possible to learn to love your body no matter what size you are. And my main message is that “You are a one of a kind work of art. There never has been, nor will there ever be another you so learn to love the body you have.”

Before we conclude I want to take a minute to thank Pat Ballard for taking the time out of her busy life to be interviewed. We at BBW Reviews appreciate your efforts to let others know there is an alternative to the weight lost obsession.

And readers please feel free to comment on our interview. If you have any questions or just want to let Pat know what you think of her and the interview please leave a comment.

No comments: